Objective Head of Division
Intensive Livestock Production Division of CSIR-ARI has the following specific objectives:
- To develop improved management systems for intensive livestock production.
- To develop feed standards, feeding systems and feed packages for intensive livestock production.
- To improve on meat processing techniques and value addition.
- To improve on waste and environmental management at the production sites.
- To develop management guides for the breeding of poultry (Chicken, Turkeys and Guinea fowls), pigs and grasscutters to suit our tropical environment.
- To develop new meat products.
There are five main programmes under the Division:
Breed Improvement and Productivity
- ARIBRO broiler development project
- Layer breed improvement
- Grasscutter breeding project
- Productivity of the sow and its survivability of the piglets
- Use of crown-rump length as a predictor of litter size in pigs and grasscutters
- Improvement of local turkeys
- Molecular sexing in Guinea keets
Intensive Feed Resources Development
- New product development with roots and tuber crops as well as agro industrial by- products for pigs, poultry and grasscutters feeding.
- Use of phytase in feeds.
Feed Standards and Feeding Systems Development
- Phase feeding in poultry (broiler & layer).
- Nutrient requirement for various physiological stages of livestock in Ghana.
Livestock Waste and Environment Management
Feeding values of processed hatchery waste or by-products as sources of protein for livestock.
Livestock Products Processing and Value Addition